Success Stories University of Houston:
Success Using Virtual-TA
Student Success at West Hills College
U21Global: The Online Graduate
Business School Spawned by 18 Research Universities from Four
University of Houston: Success Using Virtual-TA
- Asked to help the University's Writing Center assess writing
samples of students majoring in Business before they begin
taking courses in the major.
- Scored student writing samples using the Writing Center's
written communication rubric to help ensure that students
demonstrate sufficient writing skills.
- Additionally, assessed five case-based assignments for the C.
T. Bauer College of Business against UH-approved rubrics that
addresses critical thinking, written communication and knowledge
- Provided feedback to students to ensure that learning points
that need focus are highlighted.
- Submitted summary of student work to professors.
- RichFeedback provided students with detailed and personalized
feedback on every assignment in a timely manner. This project is
- University of Houston was able to redeploy University
resources from assessment work to advising and mentoring
students in face-to-face settings.
- Students received a detailed, unbiased, and objective
evaluation of their work with detailed directions on ways to
improve their critical and analytical thinking and writing
- Faculty stayed engaged throughout the process, but were
relieved of the routine and somewhat repetitive assessment
tasks, so as to focus on more critical tasks.
- Success with the initial program led to a broader partnership
to include additional Learning Outcome assessment and student
RichFeedback helped the University of Houston by handling the
more labor-intensive aspects of providing rich feedback and
rubric-based scoring. We helped students know their weaknesses
through specific feedback and suggested ways to improve their
The summative feedback to faculty helped them identify and
understand the major problems their students are facing in
completing their assignments. Such diagnostic feedback helped
faculty craft their instruction better, adjust pedagogy or
reframe future assignments in order to make them more pointedly
assess learning outcomes.
The offer is a simple one. Turn to the specialists; leave it to
them to do the drudgery. Focus on the strategic and leave the
tactics to others. Spend more of your time figuring out what to
do with the recommendations based on our findings.
Student Success at West Hills College Online
- RichFeedback's Virtual-TAs assist online faculty in
providing rich feedback and helpful references on their student
- Comments are constructive, with feedback to students on what
they got right and what they got wrong highlighted.
- Students experience enhanced learning through greater
interaction with RichFeedback on discussion board.
- RichFeedback’s rich feedback is process and approach
oriented, stimulating students and improving their Math skills.
- Greater student interest towards learning Math. The feedback
inspires students to learn.
- Our feedback ensured students received partial credit for
responses that remained unrecognized by their LMS.
- Assured learning through repeat practice problems assigned to
students, particularly in a Mathematics/Pre-Calculus course.
- Higher student retention (gain in tuition paid for the
- RichFeedback TAs help faculty identify typographic/technical
errors, if any, in test assignments.
- RichFeedback’s summative feedback of student
performance helps faculty identify and address major areas of
- Faculty gain more time to improve courses, teach more, grade
- Administrators were able to address shortage of online
U21Global: The Online Graduate Business School Spawned by 18
Research Universities from Four Continents
U21Global is a premier online Graduate School that offers
globally recognized graduate programs. The graduate school is
backed by an international network of leading
research-intensive universities in 11 countries.
Certificate of Global Business Leadership is a
unique program designed for emerging corporate leaders. The
Certificate program entails eight modules, each of two weeks
duration, lasting 27 weeks in total. The online leadership and
management program is focused on developing universal
competencies that “will heighten global business strategy
skills of companies' Full Life Cycle Leaders (FLCLs).”
In one of the business programs offered by U21Global, students
work on a team project, which is a business case analysis, and
complete an individual Reflective & Integrative project. Our
Virtual-TAs enhance the learning by providing detailed
feedback to them on both these assignments.
- Provides rich feedback along pre-identified learning
- Communicates feedback on program assignments at multiple
levels, i.e., posting the philosophy of assessment and general
trends noticed on the Discussion Board; overall Learning
Outcomes-level feedback on team/individual papers; and detailed
(specific) feedback on each paper/ppt.
- Generates greater interaction with the participants by being
provocative, where needed, in the feedback provided by asking
questions; spelling out other feasible alternatives; and asking
“what if” type of questions.
RichFeedback’s services overcome some of the observed
limitations of online education pedagogy by encouraging greater
interaction and communication with participants, even welcoming
participants to respond to the feedback and make their case if
they feel something has not been correctly interpreted during the
U21Global can release their faculty for more productive
student-facing interaction, while ensuring that students get
feedback that is aligned with the faculty’s on-/off-line
interactions and program learning goals. Student learning data
generated can also be used to monitor the efficacy of the
learning pedagogy, thus making valuable contributions to tracking